Home » Cost of Pollution in China: Estimates of Economic and Physical Damage by World Bank Group
Cost of Pollution in China: Estimates of Economic and Physical Damage World Bank Group

Cost of Pollution in China: Estimates of Economic and Physical Damage

World Bank Group

Published July 1st 2012
ISBN : 9780821372098
Paperback
175 pages
Enter the sum

 About the Book 

Based on a multi-sector study, this book estimates the physical and economic cost of air and water pollution in China as reflected in the pollution-related disease burden, pollution-exacerbated water scarcity, wastewater irrigation, fisheries loss,MoreBased on a multi-sector study, this book estimates the physical and economic cost of air and water pollution in China as reflected in the pollution-related disease burden, pollution-exacerbated water scarcity, wastewater irrigation, fisheries loss, crop loss, and material damage. Building upon willingness-to-pay surveys for reducing health risks from pollution among households in Shanghai and Chongqing municipalities, the study finds that the health costs of air and water pollution amount to about 4.3 percent of GDP in China. By adding the non-health impacts of pollution, which are estimated to be about 1.5 percent of GDP, the study indicates that the total cost of air and water pollution in China is about 5.8 percent of GDP. Furthermore, the books finds that Chinas poor are disproportionally affected by the environmental health burden. The study finally outlines a set of policy interventions to reduce air and water pollution in China.